- What opportunities do you see for making meaningful use of ever more specialised knowledge in situations of ever more limited time?
- How often have you asked yourself, if meetings could be designed more efficiently and productively?
I am available for addressing such questions as expert for knowledge management in the roles of consultant and facilitator of knowledge sharing processes. I create interfaces in which people of different backgrounds meet and exchange. I apply a variety of methods and create rooms for interaction at equal eye-level to exchange about challenges of complex content and to progress together.
My offer in the thematic area of Knowledge Management is being enlarged by a growing experience in numerous ongoing and completed projects and processes in diverse contexts. Also regular further education in transformative leadership, knowledge translation and science communication enhance my approach to dealing with the challenges of increasingly fragmented knowledge.
Mandate for Research Concept Environment of FOEN (2021-2024).
In 2018 and 2019, I supported the Section Innovation of the Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN) in the elaboration of the new Research Concept Environment 2021-2024, which is an annex of the Dispatch on the promotion of Education, Research and Innovation. I prepared and facilitated the retreat of the Consultative Group for Environmental Research of FOEN and provided editing advice for the Research Concept Environment. A special focus of the facilitation was on identifying and formulating cross-sectoral research topics to address key challenges of sustainable development of Switzerland.
saguf-Working Group Knowledge Sharing.
A lot of my learning for knowledge management happened in the exchange and deep reflection and collaboration with my colleagues of the saguf-Working Group Knowledge Sharing between Science and Practice (2003–2015), led by Dr. Patricia Fry. The principles that shape(d) our approach include communication competence, constructive working relations, openness towards outcome and output, time and mindful facilitation.
CCES Winter School «Science Meet Practice».
As coordinator, lecturer and facilitator of the CCES Winter School «Science Meets Practice» (2010–2014) at the Competence Center of Environment and Sustainability of the ETH domain I had the chance to combine and enlarge my specialised knowledge in environmental policy, inter- and transdisciplinary research and knowledge production with methods of knowledge management. Doctoral and post-doc participants of the CCES Winter School (today td-Lab Winter School) are being introduced to interfaces of science and practice and can design and experience processes of knowledge sharing themselves.
Knowledge, Power, Politics.
In the project «Knowledge, Power, Politics» (2006-2010) I conducted together with my research partners Dr. Tô Xuân Phúc, Forest Trends Vietnam and Australian National University, and Dr. Andrés Uzeda Vásquez, Universidad Mayor de San Simon, Cochabamba, Bolivia, in the frame of the National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) North-South three studies on «Knowledge, Power, Politics: Social and institutional practices in development research and policy».
Our research focused on the nexus between knowledge, power and politics in development research and cooperation, which we presented in various papers and talks. Three master students from the University of Zurich worked with us.
My study focused on research partnerships funded by Swiss research programmes. Using concepts from the sociology of knowledge I analysed knowledge production processes in North-South research collaborations, addressed power relations and scrutinised career paths of researchers from Switzerland and the Global South. Conclusions were targeted at recommendations for sharing different forms of knowledge from research, administration and practice.
In 2007 and 2008, I carried out consultancy mandates for the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) on «Knowledge management and organisational learning in international development agencies» (2007) and for the North-South Exchange Project on «Transdisciplinary knowledge production in international teams» (2008).
- Kruse, S., Förster, R., Fry, P., Kläy, A., Kueffer, C., Moschitz, H., Wolf, P., Zingerli, C., 2015. Wissensaustausch zwischen Forschung und Praxis erfolgreich gestalten. GAIA 24/4: 278-280. Download PDF
- Zingerli, C., Stauffacher, M., Mittler, M., Pohl, C., Frick, C., Fry, P., Gerber, B., Krütli, P., 2013. CCES Winter School “Science Meets Practice”. Building competence and confidence for better inter- and transdisciplinary interactions, Digital Poster prepared for the First Global Conference on Research Integration and Implementation, 8-11 September 2013. Conference theme: Educating the next generation. Download PDF
- Stauffacher, M., Zingerli, C., Fry, P., Pohl, C., Krütli, P., 2012. Science meets practice: A Winter School offers new perspectives. GAIA 21/2: 145-147. Download PDF
- Zingerli, C., 2011a. Collaborative knowledge production for sustainable development: Experiences from the NCCR North-South, in: Research for Sustainable Development: Foundations, Experiences, and Perspectives. Perspectives of the Swiss National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) North-South, University of Bern, Vol. 6, Wiesmann, U., Hurni, H., an international group of co-editors (Eds.). Bern, Geographica Bernensia. 91–102. Download PDF
- Zingerli, C., 2010. A sociology of international research partnerships for sustainable development. European Journal of Development Research 22/2: 217-233. Download PDF
- Zingerli, C., Fry, P., Bachmann, F., Flury, M., Förster, R., Kläy, A., Küffer, C., 2009. Kommunikationskompetenz: Eine Bedingung für erfolgreiche Wissensaustauschprozesse zwischen Forschung, öffentlicher Verwaltung und Praxis. GAIA 18/3: 264-266. Download PDF
- Zingerli, C., Michel, C., Salmi, A., 2009. On producing and sharing knowledge across boundaries: Experiences from the interfaces of an international development research network. Knowledge Management for Development Journal 5/2: 185-196. Download PDF
- Zingerli, C., 2007. Learning from Evaluations: Knowledge Management and Institutional Learning in International Development Agencies. SDC, Berne, p. 26. Download PDF